Re: Masquerade stopped working?!?!

> It is possible that the ISP can recognise packets coming from
machines in
> your network, by looking at the TTL. As a router, your box should
> decrement the TTL of packets which it forwards, and as a result
the
> packets which it forwards for the inside machines will have a
different
> TTL (one less) than if those boxes were directly connected.
>
> Since Windows and Linux machines have well known "standard" TTLs,
it's
> possible to use this to block access from machines behind a
router,
> without blocking access for the router itself.
>
> You can try using the TTL target of iptables to re-increment the
TTL, so
> that it appears as though those boxes were directly connected,
with such
> a rule:
>
>   iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o <external-interface> \
>  -j TTL --ttl-inc 1
>
> But if you have Windows boxes on your network, they will still
have a
> different TTL to packets from your Linux box (I think), and once
again the
> ISP can be aware that more than one machine is in use. So it might
be
> better to use the TTL target to lock the TTL to some fixed value:
>
>   iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o <external-interface> \
>  -j TTL --ttl-set 64
>
> where 64 appears to be the default for Linux boxes (at least with
a 2.4
> kernel, as mine has).

That's the case. Command
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
solved the problem.

After all I have done some tests and it seems that ISP is searching
for TCP/UDP packets for which TTL field differ from 64 or 128.
I have tested that my linux box TTL is 64 and on local machines
running Windows XP TTL is 128.

My ISP is a small company so they are not worth to mention who they
are. I tried to find what OS is running on the ISP machine using
nmap, but I found nothing. I want to know what kind of software they
are running (if not just iptables). I will try to get some
informations.

Thanks to everybody