Re: Masquerade stopped working?!?!

On August 3, 2003 12:06 pm, dummy1@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Have you done any logging?
> > If your linux box can browse then the problem is the linux box.
> > check that ip forwarding is working and that there's is absolutely
>
> no
>
> > packets being dropped by mistake and that it's forwarding..
>
> I have done logging and everything seems to be ok. Packets are going
> out FORWARD chain. To be sure I remove all rules which can drop
> packets and every thing is ok. It looks like ISP is dropping
> packets.
>
> > The only other thing possible is that the MTU could be too high
>
> and needs to
>
> > be lowered if the workstations are at 1500 and your linux is at
>
> 1400 or
>
> > there abouts.. try forcing all MTUs to a lower value.. (research
>
> it on
>
> > google).
>
> I have tried diffrent values of MTUs (workstation, box): (1500,1500)
> , (500,1500), (500,500), (300,500), (575,1500) and still nothing.
>
> I have even used a TCPMSS target:
> iptables -A FORWARD -p TCP --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS
> --clamp-mss-to-pmtu
> and still nothing. It looks like all tcp/udp communication from
> local machine to internet isn't working. Packets are going out linux
> box. I have done logging:
> iptables -A FORWARD -o eth0 -j LOG
> and the results are like this:
> IN=eth1 OUT=eth0 SRC=10.1.1.14 DST=212.77.100.101 LEN=60 TOS=0x00
> PREC=0x00 TTL=63 ID=24078 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=32777 DPT=80 WINDOW=2144
> RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
> I have added logging incoming packets:
> iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -j LOG
> and... silence. No packet are coming back.

If the packets LEFT via the FORWARD chain, they should come BACK through the
	FORWARD chain (if nat is working).  if you used -A to add the logging rule in
the FORWARD chain
        it is the last rule in the chain.
	try
        iptables -I FORWARD 1 -o eth0 -j LOG --log-prefix Forward_out:
	iptables -I FORWARD 1 -i eth0 -j LOG --log-prefix Forward_in:

	(unnnnhhh someone doublecheck the syntax on that for me .. I'm half asleep)

	to catch packets in BOTH directions on the FORWARD chain.

--

	Alistair Tonner
	nerdnet.ca

     Any sufficiently advanced technology will have the appearance of magic.
	Lets get magical!