ftp

I set my INPUT tables to DROP all tcp entries. Before that line I put in some ports to ACCEPT such as port 80 for http. This works as I had a friend run nmap to my ip and it came back with all blocked except for port 80. He could also get my Web page via a browser. I Have one problem still. When I try to ftp out to a site I can get loged in but if I enter any command such as 'ls' or '?' I get the message back that 200 PORT command successfull but I never see the list of files or commands. I can't even execute a 'bye' command and get out. What port do I need opened up to use ftp from my computer to another.
I tried ports 20, 21, 69 and 115 but they did no good. I found these in the /etc/services file.
Gary