Conntrack Response to Port Unreachable for UDP

Hello!

We kind of an interesting problem and I was wondering
if people have any suggestions. Imagine a network like
this:

    X----------F---------Z

where F is a Linux box acting as a firewall to protect
the Z network. F runs

    kernel 2.4.21-pre5
    iptables 1.2.7a
    patch-o-matic 20030112

The problem arises like this:

X attempts to initiate a UDP exchange with Z, but Z
responds to the initial packet with an ICMP port
unreachable. That's fine, but once this happens, it
seems that Z (or some other node on Z's network) is
then able to repeatedly replay this same ICMP port
unreachable back to X.

So the question is, what's the best way to prevent
that at F?

One idea was that conntrack could destroy the
conntrack record for the UDP "connection" upon receipt
of the port unreachable. Another, much larger scope
solution would be to implement some sort of
generalized replay protection that would attempt to
identify and DROP replayed packets. The first seems
nice and simple, but we're worried about unintended
consequences. The second seems interesting, but could
get a little involved. I wondered if people had any
thoughts or suggestions for other ways to deal with
this.

Thanks!

Tim