Need example of ip rate limiting

I would like to limit the number of HTTP (port 80) requests that any one IP address can make agaist an Apache web server per second or per minute. I think iptables has such functionality. Can someone give me an example of how to do it? Is there a better way to do it or is iptables the best route?

Thanks!