Re: DNAT/SNAT & existing connections

Hi Stephen,

You lost me here. M is a remote host with two interfaces. There are
two networks (AS) between your router R and M. I take that R is a
linux box (??).  Interface 1 is always up and interface 2 is sometimes
up. Now you want to send the packets (mostly UDP) from your server S to M
and you want the router R to do some kind of magic and know when 2 is up
and nat to 2 and use 1 otherwise. While this might work for UDP (if I only
knew how) there is no way you can switch between dst IP's of a TCP session.

What you could do is:
1) Have a loopback(dummy) interface D on M
2) Use some kind of routing protocol on M to propagate this D through
   1 and 2 to the networks..
3) Receive this route from those networks on R

Then you could assign a higher cost to the network connected to 1. When 2 is
up your preference would be through the lower network. When 2 is down, the
only path would be through 1. At any rate the server S should only talk to
D. This solution works for both UDP and TCP...

But I'm certain that M (being mobile) cannot send out any routing information.
And besides your ISP's are not willing to receive the route from M and also
are not willing to pass that route to R.

So, no, sorry I don't have any solution for you.

Ramin