Re: iptables 1.2.8 libc6 question

Emanoil Kotsev wrote:

ThanX Daniel,
unfortunately you are not telling me anything new.
My question is how could I point iptables to the other libc.

Few things are going trough my mind:

1) exporting and mounting trough nfs on the compile-machine and then pointing the compiler to the directory mounted.
Question: after I install iptables where is it going to look for the libraries?? I don't think it will find the proper path

Libc == dynamic so ld.so.conf will show you the way.

2) copying the libraries for ex. in /usr/local/lib
Question: On target machine the libs are in /lib ??? would iptables find them under /usr/local/lib (it is in ld.so.conf)

yeah

3) What about compiling iptables with no shared libraries as it will be permanently used - are the libc6 -> libc-2.3.1 included in iptables?

Should be, static binaries are pretty simple if space isn't a concern. Hell, with libc static in the binary, you don't even need to get the other libc for the build platform. Hmm..

4) perhaps the easiest way if possible at all would be to upgrade the target machine

Also a good idea if an upgrader is easily found. Depends on how many programs are installed as well.

Which should I choose and are there any better ideas???

Thanks in advance for taking your time

unfortunately I tried to replace libc-2.2.5 on the target machine but it wasn't good idea :-)) I ran into "hella trouble".

Definitly - Basically only upgrades from distributions are the only practical way to accomplish this in larger platforms.