Understanding Source ports

I love my source of information -- Iptables logging feature.  I'm still
learning about but sure beats saying "I donno" to the boss.

It has brought a question i can't answer.  I guess I don't really understand
how packets orginate, in relation to the source port, on a system.  They seem
to be somewhat random and very definately incremental.

Is there a good FAQ somewhere that I missed?

THNX
--
Leon Sonntag
Systems Administrator