Re: Need help diagnosing iptables MASQ rule issues...

Hi Jason,

> FileMaker then thinks is connected/gets data back from the server (which
> as far as I understand is actually a PC on a LAN (10.0.0.202) behind the
>   router whose remote IP we connect to (port 5003 is forwarded by that
> router to the FileMaker server)  I think this is the point where
> comunication breaks down - I think FileMaker stops trying to connect to
> the Internet IP of the server and tries to connect to it's private LAN
> IP which since it is on a totally different network doesn't work and the
> client sits there trying and trying to reach the server untill it hits a
> timeout.
>
> Am I reading the data right do you think? (I'd just like to confirm I'm
> not jumping to conclusions)

That appears to be correct to me.

> What really puzzles me is why FileMaker suddenlly seems to jump to
> trying to connect to 10.0.0.202 - as far as I understand NAT the fact
> that the server is behind a firewall/nat gateway on the other end should
> be transparent to the client - it should never know it's not talking to
> the router itself.

Not quite. Many protocols have IP addresses embedded in the application
data. Unless there is a specific NAT helper for the protocol, then such
addresses will not be translated. If FileMaker Pro uses such a protocol,
then I'm not sure how your other routers manage to get around this
problem, unless they have a NAT helper for FileMaker.

> p.s.  If the client is trying to connect to the private IP of a remote
> server would it be possible to tell Linux to get those packets and
> forward them (stripped to look like they are addressed correctlly) to
> the remote router ip?  I was thinking giving the lan interface a second
> IP of 10.0.0.202 and then forwarding port 5003 to the NET ip of the
> filemaker router, would that work?

It might work, but a simpler solution might be to DNAT packets addressed
to 10.0.0.202, redirecting them to the remote server's public IP address,
which should then DNAT them to the FileMaker server.

Cheers, Chris.
--
 / __// / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson -- UNIX Firewall Lead Developer |