QOS/TC

I'm hoping to get some help regarding bandwidth restriction.  Basically,
I have a system that is functioning as a router/firewall at a colo site.
It's got 10 ethernet interfaces in it so that I could give each person
their own subnet.  I'm fine with the routing and firewalling, but I want
to be able to restrict certain people to various levels of throughput
since I have to pay when we go over our 1Mb cap.  From what I've been
able to determine, I need to use tc to setup qdisc's, but I have not
been able to find any good references either online or in print that
will explain clearly to someone who doesn't understand these tools how
to setup these queues.  I will probably put something together for
reference if anyone can help me understand these tools.

What would be really nice, is if someone could give me the commands to
setup these queues, and explain what each item in the command is.  I
realize this is a lot of work, but I'll gladly take any help I can get,
and give back to the community what I am able to come up with.

If this is NOT the right list for this question, please don't send
flames my way.  A pointer to where I should go would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chip