Patch-o-matic help

anybody arround that can assist a new iptables administrator--I
Hope..............

I have iptable 1.26 setup on a Redhat 8 server.  This server also needs to
function as a PPTP VPN server.  It appears that PoPToP is the only reasonable
way to acomplish that.  I can get PoTPoP to work but I am told that I need to
be able to pass GRE packets.
  It looks like there is a patch to do this but requires patch-o-matic.
Looking at the README, it looks like I run a command called runme.  and then
recompile the Kernel.
  I'm yet to go through the recompile.  Anybody willing to help the
inexperienced become experienced?

Thanks (in advance)
--
Leon Sonntag