Firewall setup at boot - trouble with setting up the LOG target

Hi there, I've got a problem with my boot-time firewall setup script.
It works almost 100% correctly, however there is a little problem.

I'm using iptables v1.2.8 and kernel 2.4.19. Amongst other actions,
the script creates a custom chain called 'drop-and-log' and inserts 2
rules into it:

1. 'iptables -A drop-and-log -j LOG --log-level info'
   (log a packet)
2. 'iptables -A drop-and-log -j REJECT'
   (after logging, reject the packet)

The problem is that when I run the 'iptables -L' command after the
boot is completed, I only see rule no. 2 (REJECTing, without LOGging)
in the 'drop-and-log' chain. When I run the script once again,
manually (by executing '/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall'), after the boot is
completed, everything works fine. The scripts looks like this:

-----START rc.firewall-----
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -F
iptables -X
iptables -Z
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
iptables -P FORWARD DROP
iptables -N drop-and-log
iptables -A drop-and-log -j LOG --log-level info
iptables -A drop-and-log -j REJECT

[...INPUT, OUTPUT and FORWARD rules...]

modprobe ip_nat_ftp
modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp
-----END rc.firewall-----

Probably there's something about the module ipt_LOG here, but I've
tried inserting 'modprobe ipt_LOG' in the beggining, at the end and in
the middle of the script - it did no good.

I'd be grateful for any help in this matter.

Michal Kepien

--
Lord Popcorn
lordpopcorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"The UPL leaders formulated a bold plan that would assure that humanity would persevere, unscathed by the tempting corruption of radical technologies." --- Blizzard Ent.