how to filter applications with iptables

Hello,
I've been looking for some information but couldn't find, so here it goes, I'm asking
to the list : (excuse my technical english if I'm not clear enough)

I've a LAN at home with mdk as server and win and mdk on the clients

My question is : is there a way to block certain applications, such as specific
softwares (office suite for example), to access internet with iptables?
 How to identify the packets emitted from such applications and block them ?

Thanks

Bruno