Re: IPv6 Router and NAT/connection tracking

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 17:05, Internet Protocol version Six wrote:
> Hello all, I have a box that's configured as a firewall
> and router for IPv6, which is doing it's job fine, well,
> fine.., IPv6 connections keep timing out, they work for
> a second or 30 and then it timesout -> connections,
> ping6, traceroutes, ... from the Internet to the IPv6
> address behind the router don't work anymore. Also if I
> do a ping6 or make a connection to a remote IPv6 host
> on the Internet it doesn't work, however if I ping6 the
> router from the network, everything works again...for
> about 30 seconds again, and then the problem begins
> again...
>
> I was told that this is caused by NAT/connection
> tracking. Is there *any* solution to this? This is
> really annoying as I *need* NAT, but also want to give
> IPv6 connectivity to other machines on the LAN.

Are you directly connected to an IPv6 router, or are you
connecting via an ipv6_over_ipv4 tunnel of some sort?

If you are direct, then I think all you need to do is work
with ip6tables.  (not sure, not done this)

If you are using a tunnel, then that tunnel will either be
using a specific protocol or port number, which you could
explicitly ACCEPT in all directions to avoid conntrack
interference.  For example, tspc (freenet6.net) uses
TCP 4343 to talk to the server to create the tunnel, and
the tunnel itself is protocol 41.