RE: can we shape the kazaa traffic

You can if you know the ports it uses and if it's like DC++ which you can specify the port, then use a tool which is pretty new which works on a different ip layer. Below is a post recently sent regarding it.

The way it works is that it matches the packets content and pushes that into the shaped pipe, iptables can actually do that too with the "-m string" patch-o-matic module. I'm just not sure what happens after the SYN packet if the connection keeps goign through the shaped pipe or not..

hope this helps...?

From: arbitrator-linux-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:arbitrator-linux-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Art
Reisman
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 9:35 AM
To: arbitrator-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Bandwidth/Arbitrator-linux] Adapting Application Level Shaping
(Kazaa) comments?

There is a sourceforge project that has just released
application shaping tools for TC

http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net/

We are in the process of adapting their "application
detection code" into the arbitrator..

Their code works by matching text patterns in data
packets. If you have any knowledge on this subject
please share your thoughts experiences.

Art

Thanks,
George Vieira