Newbie netfi;ter question

Hi,

  I have created a very simple module to use netfilters. I
display some info from the sk_buff structures.
The protocol field always has an 8 in it.

What does the 8 mean? I would expect this to indicate this is
an IP packet of some type, but so far I have not found a header
or any docs that explains it. Where would be a good place for me
to find these things out (please don't say read the kernel source).

Thanks,

Ken