problem

hi,
i've been an user of netfilter/iptables for a short time, and it's always worked great for me, doing NAT and packet filtering exactly as it should (thanx a lot to who wrote the NAT-HOWTO although :D). anyway, i'm experiencing some strange behaviour:

i have a DNATting rule as the following:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $EXTIF -j SNAT --to $EXTIP

where EXTIF (ppp0 - yeah, dialup) and EXTIP (dynamically assigned but correctly detected) are properly set. recently i have set up a DNS server, and i wish it was accessible from the outside. i have used djbdns, and set it up correctly. actually the requests are received and processed, but the outgoing packets with the replies are blocked by my packet filter. i have the following log from dmesg:

IN= OUT=ppp0 SRC=10.0.6.5 DST=80.116.131.210 LEN=68 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=53 DPT=4538 LEN=48

10.0.6.5 is the ip which djbdns is running on, and 80... is the ip who made the request. what is strange is that the packet was trying to go out with the internal ip! is this normal? it's been blocked because i have a rule:
iptables -A OUTPUT -o $EXTIF -s $UNIVERSE -d $INTNET -j drop-and-log-it

shouldn't the packet's source address have already been changed at this time? what am i doing wrong? may it be because it's using the UDP protocol? my natting rule should work with all protocols though...

help me!
thanks in advance!
Giorgio