ip_conntrack_max table full

i'm using iptables as NAT svr to my UNIV. my system is:
   2*xeron 2.4GHZ
   2GB   mem

after some time about a day I found that there is logging
messege on my screen like this :
    Ip_conntrack table full drop pack
   tones of such messages and all of the LAN user can't get
access to internet.

cat  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max
 65536

when I cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack I found
a lot of dead transformed items the TIMEOUT is about 5days
obviously nobody is using my box but such items will last
for a long time before I reboot my box!
how can i flush them?

in ip_conntrack_proto.c
I found the default timeout is 5DAYS

I don't think it's necessary for me to maintain a tranform
for so long .
   maybe I should change the default TIMEOUT TO 1DAY
   anybody can help me to deal with it?

   thanks in advance.