RE: Help - Public Interface seems to go to sleep

>      Problem:
>           - Everything works 'most' of the time. However after no
>             activity on the public interface for a while
> (hours), can not connect.
>             But then later, can connect ??
>            From a tcpdump trace on eth1, the times that it
> will not connect shows
>            only SYN packets from the other host, no ACK from
> this server?
>
>           Have I filtered out too much traffic ?  Should I
> allow ICMP through the
>           public interface ? Bad ethernet card ?

I experienced this a whiel back. The IF would just stop responding. I
noticed when I pinged from it when logged in locally that would
sometimes start it back up. But it was only down for maybe 5-10 mins at
a time. I chalked the problem up to I think my power management
settings. The system is a server so I removed the APM aspect of it from
the kernel and I think that solved the problem.