Re: Bug? ICMPs sent by REJECT are not getting SNAT'd...

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 09:55:49AM +0200, Jozsef Kadlecsik <kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Hi, I have a somewhat convoluted setup, so I'll try to describe it.
> >
> > DSL provider gave me a /29 for my machines
> > 	(say, 200.1.1.0/29)
> > DSL provider also supplied a /30 to go between DSL modem and the DSLAM.
> > 	(say, 201.1.1.0/30 - irrelevant here, really)
> > I am using a random /30 to go between the DSL modem and my firewall
> > 	(say, 10.1.1.0/30)
> > [...]
> > I soon realised that since I'm using a non-routed address for the "outside"
> > interface of the firewall, I run into issues trying to initiate any
> > connection from the fw machine, so I added:
> >
> >  iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -s 10.1.1.1 -j SNAT --to-source 200.1.1.1
> >
> > This works for 99% of the traffic sourced on the firewall machine, it seems.
> >
> > One thing it DOES NOT work for, is the ICMP (and probably RST - didn't try)
> > packets that are generated by the REJECT target.  These get sourced from the
> > unroutable address, and since my ISP wisely filters things like that, the
> > ICMP never makes it to the sender.
>
> If I understand your setup and the problem correctly, you mean that you
> REJECT requests targeted to the firewall itself and the reject packets
> contain the private address of the firewall as source address.
>
> But how packets can reach the private address of your firewall?

No, the problem is that when the firewall machine REJECTs any packets in a
FORWARD chain (ie, anything I am blocking that is destined to the network
behind it), the source IP of the ICMP UNREACH (or evn the RST packets) is
that of the *outside* interface - the unroutable address.  It seems the
POSTROUTING is not performed on the ICMPs that are created by the actual
host.

Is there any way around this?

	-T