RE: new tcp connections, without SYN

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 15:00, dhiraj.2.bhuyan@xxxxxx wrote:
> As far as I understand, an "ACK" packet can also start a "NEW" connection.
> If the connection remains idle for long, the Netfilter's connection tracking
> engine times out that connection and removes it's entry from the state
> table. Now when an "ACK" packet comes back after sometime, the connection
> tracking engine marks this as a "NEW" connection. However am not sure how
> the state changes to "ESTABLISHED".

IIRC there's been som discussion about how Internet Explorer violates
the tcp standard. Some versions start their tcp sessions with a ACK
instead of a SYN. And there's an hack in the windows OS that accepts
that if it's destined for an IIS webserver I think. This is to shorten
the amount of time needed for connection setup.

If connection-pickup is enabled they will be marked as NEW even though
they don't contain a SYN. If connection-pickup is disabled the packets
will be marked as INVALID.

--
/Martin