Re: more questions about kernel config options for iptables

On 8 Apr 2003, Cedric Blancher wrote:

> My 0.02¤ about this is that I personaly prefer a configuration script
> that reflect reality, than something more "user convenient" that could
> fool people about the way things work. Netfilter insides, as well as
> kernel insides, are already complicated enough to me, for I do not need
> stuff that could make me misunderstand something. Reality is that NAT
> depends on conntrack. Your point would be to invert this for user's
> sake, and this is, imho, a baaaaad thing ;)
>
> I don't know if any of them are reading this thread, but if we could
> have some core developper's point of vue about his, would be great.
>
> It is a very tough subject to discuss how kernel configuration must be
> presented. I wouldn't show nerd's behaviours, e.g. dumb users do not
> compile kernel, but I tend to think that if someone wants to build its
> own kernel, then it's up to him to (try to ?) understand how it is going
> and what are the choices he's about to make.

yes, i agree with this.  i think i'll just ponder how to reorganize
that menu to, first of all, have more informative help screens and,
second, to add what i *think* we agree on is some missing
dependencies.

rday

p.s.  is the rest of this list also getting auto-vacation messages
from respond-dgour?  just wondering if it's coming from *this*
list.