Re: more questions about kernel config options for iptables

On 8 Apr 2003, Cedric Blancher wrote:

> Le mar 08/04/2003 à 14:23, Robert P. J. Day a écrit :
> > it would make far more sense to have a list of menu options
> > that reflects what a user would want to *do*, and have the
> > underlying dependencies kept invisible.  a more readable menu
> > like:
> >
> >    Basic filtering
> >      Connection tracking
> >    NAT
> >    Packet mangling
>
> This does not reflect reality. Connection tracking does not depend on
> basic filtering. It's even completly independent form it. It does not
> depend on NAT either.

sorry, i didn't mean it that way -- just suggesting that, if one
selects to do basic filtering, a sub-option of "connection tracking"
means that they want to do *additional* filtering.  but there would
still have to be a top-level connection tracking option.  this just
gets messy with these interdependencies.  yuck.

> > gotcha.  if you want masq/NAT, you would have to select
> > not only Connection tracking, but IPtables support and,
> > within that, "Full NAT".  and that's why i dislike the current
> > menu layout.  it would be more reasonable for someone to say,
> > "i want NAT", and have the underlying dependencies automatically
> > satisfied.
>
> I see your point. But I do think connection tracking has to appear as a
> independent choice.

i agree.  see above.  i'll give all of this more thought, and peruse
the actual code more carefully to see how all of this ties together.

rday