Re: looking for rules for samba-related traffic

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Anthony M. Rasat wrote:

> Dear Robert,
>
> Most times, when configuring a firewall, people blocked everything first
> then allow any service required. This goes for any incoming traffic rule.
> Now, outgoing rule may vary. Some people like to let any outgoing traffic
> may pass unchanged, some are not. In your case, if you wish to do so, your
> can set rules to block outgoing TCP and UDP port 137 - 139. This rules will
> not affecting Samba (or Microsoft Windows Network Sharing Service)
> communication inside your internal network.

no, you have it backwards.  i'm starting from a position of DROP on all
chains, and want to slowly *open up* my firewall.  what i was after
was a set of (ideally minimal) rules that would allow just what was
needed for samba-related traffic.

i'm aware that that traffic involves ports 137-9, but wanted to
know if there was a summary of *precisely* what ports were involved,
and what they were used for, so i could know exactly what i had
to allow and what i could leave closed.

rday