Re: Windows file sharing over different subnets

If you don't want to run wins on your nt2k box then you should work with the lmhosts file. lmhosts.sam is a good reference for what you are trying to do. You can use Samba to do some netbios forwarding but for what you are doing that might be overkill. Read lmhosts.sam (on one of the windows boxes.)

Andy

Y Makki wrote:

Hi,

I don't really need a wins server on the eth1 segment since there are no
windows machines here except the file server, the eth2 segment has no
servers at all.

For testing I have set the FORWARD default policy to ACCEPT, and allow
all incoming traffic from both eth1 and eth2.
I also tried earlier to DNAT any 135:139 traffic coming from eth2 to the
fileserver, which did not help. Ping works from segment to segment.

Maybe there is a client or relay agent of some sort I could install on
the linux gateway, I don't know.