From: netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
James O'Gorman
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2003 3:24 PM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: iptables PPTP p-o-m patch info

Hi,

I'm after a bit more info on this patch, as there doesn't
seem to be much mentioned about it on the netfilter.org site,
or in the p-o-m help. I've got an ADSL connection with a
single static IP, and we're thinking about having a linux box
using iptables to NAT the connection to the internal LAN.

One of the computers on the LAN uses Check Point VPN-1
SecuRemote to connect to a corporate n etwork, but with our
current setup (using a ZyXEL Prestige ADSL router) this isn't
possible - the user has to unplug the router and use the USB
ADSL modem plugged directly into his PC, meaning the rest of
the network loses the Internet connection, which, obviously
is inconvenient. We think this fails to work because of the
router re-writing the packet headers, and the VPN software
not liking this (it's a security risk).

Does the PPTP patch for iptables allow this to work properly?
ie, if 192.168.0.1 was the internet gateway (ppp0 for
Internet and eth0 for
LAN) and 192.168.0.4 needed to use VPN using 0.1 as the
gateway instead of unplugging the gateway from the ADSL,
would this work, or would it fail, for the same reasons it
failed using the ZyXEL router?

Thanks,

James

--