Re: Why want my iptables scripts run in cron

david wrote:

>I have a simple script called routup.sh to start the routing at a certain
>time, it is excutable. It runs fine at the command line but not cron. here is
>what my cron entry looks like: 0 9 * * * root /etc/routup.sh

What is the reason to run this script in cron? ;-)

>#routup.sh
>#!/bin/bash
>
>echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE

At first look: remove the first line. Let the #!/bin/bash
be at the first instead of #routup.sh.

BTW: why do you run bash? Run sh. It's not error
in fact, but the sh usage is something like idiom.
AFAIK sh is link to your default shell, probably bash.

>I even went as far to add a path to the crontab file like this:
>vi crontab >/sbin/iptables.

This looks strange to me. Could you send  more info if
the stuff above wont help?

>where am i going wrong.
>The o.s. is linux mandrake 9.0
>
>thanks for any help,

Hope this helps,
     Astib();

--
A l e s  S t i b a l, Wintel free, powered by AthlonXP and Gentoo Linux.
<astib@xxxxxxxxxx> Giganet.cz community network, Litomerice, Czech Republic