Why want my iptables scripts run in cron

I have a simple script called routup.sh to start the routing at a certain
time, it is excutable. It runs fine at the command line but not cron. here is
what my cron entry looks like:                0 9 * * * root   /etc/routup.sh
#routup.sh
#!/bin/bash

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

I even went as far to add a path to the crontab file like this:
vi crontab

/sbin/iptables.
where am i going wrong.
The o.s. is linux mandrake 9.0