RE: (LONG) DNS/Router/Firewall question... SOLVED

On Thursday, March 13, 2003 6:24 PM, Elmshauser, Erik scribbled:

> > So the question is how do I allow the "Forward Lookups" to happen?
> > The first thing I noticed was that my original DNS rules only allowed
> > traffic between my ISP and me.  I've modified those rules to what you
see
> > below:
> >
> > echo "   Allowing DNS Forward Lookups to take place..."
> > $IPTABLES -A OUTPUT -o $EXTIF -p udp -s $EXTIP --sport $UNPRIVPORTS \
> >           -d 0.0.0.0 --dport 53 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
> > $IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXTIF -p udp -s 0.0.0.0 --sport $UNPRIVPORTS \
> >           -d $EXTIP --dport 53 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED \
> >           -j ACCEPT
> >
> > But they don't work either.  What am I missing?
> >

> perhaps if you added the NEW state to the output rule it would
> let new connection out from the firewall?

THAT'S IT!!!  This fixed the problem!

On the very first Output rule in my script, I added the NEW state to the
exisiting ESTABLISHED,RELATED and everything just started clicking.  I don't
even the need the section that was supposed to allow DNS transactions!

Thanks for you astute observations and recommendation!

Kevin L. Collins, MCSE
Systems Manager
Nesbitt Engineering, Inc.