Rate limiting by IP

I have news servers which are seeing a high load caused by a few users who
are opening sockets and closing them at a high rate, issuing one command
per connect.

I know how to limit overall connection rate, and how to limit connections
per IP, but is there a per-IP rate limiting patch or method? I am trying
to avoid impacting other users, so the solution must be done on each IP.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc