Re: DNS/Router/Firewall question...

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 10:36:34AM -0500, Collins, Kevin wrote:
> When I have the machine running as a router (i.e. ip forwarding enabled, no
> firewall rules in place) everything works fine.  When I start my firewall,
> DNS slows down to a crawl.  It works, but it works so slow that it feels
> like it's not.

  First guess is that whatever app is trying to 'do dns' is first trying
a DNS server that is NOT responding due to the firewall rules, and after
timeouts ends up trying one that DOES work.

  So, if it's a unix-like machine inside the network seeing the problem,
what's in the /etc/resolv.conf ?

  When a lookup is attempted from an internal machine with the firewall
up what does a 'tcpdump -ni <extif> port 53' show ?  You may want to run
a similar tcpdump on the appropriate internal interface too to see the
difference.

-Ath
--
- Athanasius = Athanasius(at)miggy.org / http://www.miggy.org/