Re: is it possible to limit the connection number?

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 07:48:50AM +0000, SB CH wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I would like to limit the connection number per ip
> using iptables extension function.
> for example, one can connect the firewall behinded server just 10 per a
> hour.
>
> Is it possible to set using iptables?

You can use the limit-match for this:

iptables -A FORWARD -s $LIMITED_HOST -d $DESTINATION \
-m state --state NEW -m limit --limit 10/hour -j ACCEPT

But you need some dropping/rejection rule later as well. And be sure that you
have some rule which allows ESTABLISHED connections, like

iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

But i think that's more a work for some application-proxy like Squid...

> thanks in advance.

Hope that helps,
Alex

--
"Mr Data, when I said 'Fire at Will', I didn't mean for you to be so literal."
Instructions for use of this post: Insert tounge in cheek. Read as normal.