Re: rules for Real's Helix Universal Media Server?

http://service.real.com/help/library/guides/helixuniversalproxy/htmfiles/firewall.htm#198350

> Has anyone been able to come up with some rules for a Helix Media
> Server?

Presuming the rules are being run on the box itself, it looks like these
INPUT rules for a Universal Server:

# For Helix universal server dealing with media players
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --multiport --dport 554,7070,8080 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 6970:6999 -j ACCEPT

# For Helix universal server communicating with universal proxy
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --multiport --dport 3030,7802,7878 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 3030 -j ACCEPT

and these for a Universal Proxy server:

# for Helix universal proxy communicating with media players or child
proxies
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --multiport --dport 554,1090,1755 -j ACCEPT

# for Helix universal proxy communicating with media servers
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 3030 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 3030 -j ACCEPT
# 6970-32000 for both media servers and parent proxies
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 6970:32000 -j ACCEPT

Apparently that huge range of UDPs can be restricted with the "UDP Resend
Port Range" Proxy setting.  The OUTPUT rules, if you need them as well,
should apparently be:

# for universal server communicating with media players
iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 6970:6999 -j ACCEPT

# for universal server communicating with universal proxy
iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 6970:32000 -j ACCEPT

# for universal proxy communicating with players or child proxies
iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 1024:5000 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 6970:65535 -j ACCEPT

# for universal proxy communicating with media server and parent proxy
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --multiport --dport 554,1755,3030,7070,7878 -j
ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 3030 -j ACCEPT

Also, a universal proxy needs to send on TCP 9090 and listen on a
configured port for administration.

These are certainly not the tightest rules possible for this beast, quite
likely around 50% of these rules wouldn't see any traffic if you have
ESTABLISHED,RELATED allowed through. (like OUTPUT going to a media
player)  My suggestion would be to place EST/REL rules first, then these
rules, separated instead of using multiport match.  After a reasonable
period of time, check the packet counts with "iptables -L -v -n" and see
which rules never hit, then try commenting them out of the script for a
while to ensure that you can do without them.  If you know more about
how these communications are initiated than I do, you could probably
look at these rules and pick out which ones would only be replies.