iptables forwarding problems

I am confused. I am trying to port forward ftp from a specific host to a server on my private network.

I was under the impression that specifying a rule such as $iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -s IP -d IP --dport 21 -j DNAT --to IP:21 would allow this connection.

The Catch ALL rule.
$iptables -A INPUT -j DROP
$iptables -A OUTPUT -j DROP
$iptables -A FORWARD -j DROP

I realize it says to DROP FORWARDs but I was under the assumption that since i declared a specific rule, it would DROP everything else( i.e. allow that one forward rule)

Am I completely wrong...please explain....

Thanks in advance

Matt