RE: Ip Forwarding

On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 15:57, William Olbrys wrote:
> Was this too complicated? Heh that's why I wrote such a generic
> questions

Generic questions get generic answers, and that is not what you need.

Your questions are not complicated (and the email is definitely not),
just obscure.

To cut to the chase:

You do not say anything about what kind of network you use behind your
Linux firewall.

If we assume you use a private network (192.168.*.*, 172.16.*.*,
10.*.*.* or similar) of course nothing on the outside will be able to
connect to your Windows server - simply because they don't know they
need to connect to it through your Linux server. This is a routing
issue. A significant fact about NATed networks is that there are no way
anything on the outside will know that given resources are behind the
NATing firewall.

If you are still using an IP dedicated to your Windows server but on
another IP network, consider it pure luck that anything works at all.

If you want to get serious answers from this list, you need to distinct
between what matters (e.g. your IP network and your routing tables) and
what does not matter at all (e.g. how many days you tried beating sense
into Microsoft products). Provide a network diagram explaining your
configuration and any problems related to it. Trying to parse your
message, however, makes me think that you need to read up on IP routing
before you try anything more complicated.

And, by the way, please read the netfilter documentation. It's available
on http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/.

Bjørn