Re2: How to block all ports except port 21,22,80,8080 ???

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 11:15:21AM +0100, Patrick Maartense wrote:
> > it would be MUCH better to
> >
> > iptables -p INPUT DROP # default drop
> > then allow only these ports
> > iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m multiport  --dport 21,22,80,8080 -j ACCEPT
> >
> > safe thinking: Default : drop, allow only what needed.
>
> And it's allways a good idea to allow traffic from loopback:

 iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT

Another Question when i put this line in iptables -L say

Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

whit this i do open all ports for any connection of outside?????

who is the line to permit all inside to outside??

> I heard people telling that ssh is using 22/udp as well. I'm not sure if
> that's true, though i haven't found any sshd which ever bind()ed to 22/udp.
> Anyone more information?
>
> Allowing ICMP should be mandatory as well, otherwise you'll create another
> PMTU blackhole and you'll miss almost all error messages. And sending real
> errormessages like tcp-reset and ICMP port unreachable is a good thing, too.
> You can limit them, if you like.
>
> iptables -A INPUT -p icmp -m limit --limit 5/s -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset # limit if you like
> iptables -A INPUT -j REJECT     # and that one as well
> # implicit DROP due to default policy should happen here
>
> Alex.
>

> --
> "Mr Data, when I said 'Fire at Will', I didn't mean for you to be so literal."
> Instructions for use of this post: Insert tounge in cheek. Read as normal.

---end quoted text---

--

Pablo Allietti

LACNIC

Registro de Direcciones de Internet para America Latina y el Caribe
Registro de Enderecamento de Internet para America Latina e Caribe
Latin American and Caribbean Internet Addresses Registry