From: Khanh Tran [mailto:khanh@slc.edu]
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2003 8:16 AM
To: netfilter@lists.netfilter.org
Subject: module performance

Does anyone feel like giving a somewhat detailed explanation of the
differences in loading the ip_tables modules versus building it into the
kernel?  I've got several RedHat Linux firewalls and when it comes to
upgrading the kernels, loading ip_tables as  modules is easy.  Otherwise, I
have to upgrade my kernel and then go back and re-compile ip_tables into the
kernel.  This has proven to be much more time consuming, especially with the
growth of ip_tables use on our network.

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance?

Khanh Tran
Network Operations