Re: FORWARD not working

On Saturday 15 February 2003 07:50 pm, Tim wrote:
> ppl,
>
> I rebuilt my box and can't seem to FORWARD anything. The same rules
> that were working with the old box into the new box and its not
> working. Did I miss anything.
>
> Cannot traverse the chains...I ran the command lsmod to check to make
> sure the modules where loading correctly and did notice something that
> was not there in my old box. ppp_syntty, ppp_async, ppp_generic and
> slhc which states it is a generic ppp along with jbd which I never
> noticed before.
>
> I anyone can point me to any reason or documentation why this is so, I
> would gratefully appreciate it.
>
> Thanks
> Tim

1- Try "cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" and see what it says.  If it's
a '0' (zero), then you need to "echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward"
to enable forwarding.

2- Ensure that the interfaces are the same as on the old box, IE if eth0
was internal network on the old box, then double-check that it's the
same on the new box.  If not, you can either change your rules to
reflect the difference, or change what cable is plugged into which NIC.

3- Check "/sbin/iptables -v -n -L" and "/sbin/iptables -v -n -L nat" and
see if ANY rules, or chain policies (especially nat-PREROUTING, earliest
hit of those listed) reports any packets.

4- If the first two aren't the problem, then:  If the third shows NO
traffic at all, your problem isn't iptables.  If the third shows
traffic, try to see what rules and what chains the traffic is appearing
in, and make sense of it.  Try inserting "-j LOG" rules as first in each
chain for a minute or two and check the logs to track packet traversals.

5- Also confirm whether the firewall box itself is able to communicate in
each direction.  At the minimum, you should ping a machine out each
interface.   Set INPUT and OUTPUT chains to ACCEPT policy and no rules
if necessary, but try to narrow down where the problem really exists.

6- Check "ip route" and "ifconfig" and ensure your interfaces are all up,
and you have appropriate routes.  Routes should look something like
this: (eth0 is the interface ppp0 subsumes, eth1 is LAN)

10.10.21.1 dev ppp0  proto kernel  scope link  src 141.150.238.220
192.168.0.0/16 dev eth1  scope link
127.0.0.0/8 dev lo  scope link
default via 10.10.21.1 dev ppp0

6- If all this turns up no answer, then post with a bit more detail, such
as what distribution you were/are running, what version, what kernel,
and what version of iptables you were/are running.