Re: Spoofed ip's

deff wrote, Tuesday, February 11, 2003 7:25 AM:
[...]
> Then i took a look at Firestarter's iptables script and saw that
> it also filters out other addresses.

> Could anyone please check the rules below and tell me if the
> the source ip'ss are valid. I'm seeing an incredible amount of
> these ip's attempting to get through .

> To me it looks like i'm blocking out the whole internet, but that
> makes me wonder why firestarter does it .

If you're going to bother doing this, at least do it properly. Don't use
someone else's list, as some of them are outdated and therefore, as in this
case, *wrong*.

At a quick glance, 69/8, 81/8, 82/8, 219/8, 220/8 and 221/8 are *not*
reserved. Some of them haven't been for nearly two years now.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space is the official
reference, which is kept up-to-date, and should be checked every so often
(alternatively, one could subscribe to the bogon announcement list).

Adam