Re: Fwd: IPTables stops logging after long uptime

On February 10, 2003 06:20 pm, Tomasz Wrona wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Fabrice MARIE wrote:
> > Anybody had this problem ?
> >
> > [I don't have this problem since my
> > uptime is never that long..]
>
> I have the same behaviour...
> I looked at logs after I read this mail. Uptime of my system is 84 days
> and I do not see any syslog firewall entries in my oldest rotated logs...
> so it happened a lot time ago.. [Also I have simmilar problem with crontab
> which pauses logging after few days..]
>
> 2.4.19-grsec; iptables v1.2.7a

	I too had a problem with Iptables logs vanishing after
	a while.
	I found it was entirely due to a misconfiguration of syslog,
	in which when the log files were rolled, the restart of syslogd
	started it with the wrong settings, resulting in the messages from
	iptables >/dev/null as they were of insufficient priority.

	It was sufficiently mysterious to me at the time to seem magical..
	*grin*

	Alistair

	FYI it was on Slackware 7.1, iptables 1.2.5ish setup ...