Re: i need a little help with ftp please...

(extremely heavily snipped... :^)
On Wednesday 05 February 2003 09:50 pm, mpboden wrote:

> Basically, my problem centers around connecting to my ftp server from
> the internet. To start, I've installed wu-ftpd and have the ftp server
> operating properly when connecting to it via my internal network. I
> can have guest users log in successfully and upload/download properly.
> However, with the current iptables ruleset in place, no one can
> connect to the server from the internet. The packets are being dropped
> immediately, and users are not even being promted to enter in their
> user name and password; they get a connection timed out error. As a

>$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $INTIF -s $INTNET -d $UNIVERSE -j ACCEPT

> $IPTABLES -A INPUT  -i $EXTIF -p tcp --sport 21 -m state --state
> NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

The (real) short answer.  The first rule above accepts any connection
from the LAN, including FTP.  The second one should be "--dport 21" to
accept FTP connections FROM the internet.  (You probably DON'T want to
accept NEW connections FROM port 21 anyway...)

The LONG answer is in a private email. :^)