Re: IpTables question...

On Monday 03 February 2003 01:47 am, Curca Claudiu wrote:
> I'm using RedHat Linux 8.0 on an PIII - Coppermine 750 MHz. I used
> Iptables for NAT  networking at my home (5 PC's + 1 Server).
> The server is used as a gateway and dns server. My question is:
>
> Is there any way I could limit the transfer rate of the inside
> computers to the internet?
> For example I want 192.168.3.5 to have a limit of 5 KB/s transfer
> rate.
>
> Please help me!!

You need to establish a Queueing Discipline.  Your best choice would
probably be Hierarchical Token Bucket.  See
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.qdisc.classful.html#AEN1050 in the Linux
Advanced Routing and Traffic Control how-to for details on HTB, (and the
full how-to for all the info...) and the section following it entitled
"Classifying packets with filters" which explains how to specify a
filter that matches specific IPs, or use the 'fwmark' match to let you
set a mark in an iptables mangle-table PREROUTING chain and queue
traffic based on the marks.