iptables grep problems

Hi all,

It seems I'm in a bit of a bother.  Here's my problem:
I have a semi-permanent IP address provided by my ISP
and I can't do one of two things:
1. use eth0, and
2. use a combination of grep, awk, & ifconfig.

Normally, if I issue this from the bash shell:

$ifconfig eth0 | grep 'inet addr' | awk '{print $2}'

I get the intended result i.e the external interface's IP address.
So why can't I get anything when I put this in the firewall script?
Actually, I do get something: ERRORS!

If someone would kindly help me with this problem
and relieve my suffering it'll be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Santos.
Still learning.