question about building a secure firewall

I am wanting to build my own Linux firewall/VPN from scratch.  I have a question about whcih packages I need to install for the best security.  I will be using the 2.4 kernel, I also know that I will need to install IPTables, FreeSwan, however I am not sure what else should be installed on my firewall.  Should I install TCP Wrappers, and what about some kind of intrusion detection softeware.

Chris Nally

Do you Yahoo!?