Re: Interesting request. block x.x.0.0

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Daniel F. Chief Security Engineer - wrote:

> Anybody know of a way to block this traffic. Notice it's comming from just the
> 0.0 addresses obviously spoofed. But can you block x.x.0.0 with out blocking
> every thing else in the range with out a rule per IP.

Can the CIDR approach to networking be of any help?  I heard that the
traditional imaginary separation of networks into classes A, B, C,... is
not quite useful, so it is now possible to specify network numbers in
format

   X.X.X.X/N

where N is the number of most significant bits.

Based on the above, will the 45.208.0.0/32 notation in an iptables rule
filter the unwanted packets without rejecting any other possible valid
packets coming from 45.208.0.0/16?

--
Ilguiz Latypov
Net Integration Technologies, Inc