Re: Firewall allows new connections back in

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 02:27:58PM -0800, Curtis Hawthorne wrote:
> Is this a bug in NetFilter (and has it been fixed?), or am
> I doing something wrong?  I don't like the idea of new
> connections being allowed back through the firewall after a
> certain kind of packet has been sent, so any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

  It's doing what you asked it to.  First you make an outgoing
'connection' (actually just a packet as it's UDP) from port 137 to port
137 on the target machine.  ip_conntrack remembers this so as to let any
replies in.  Then the same machine makes a 'new connection' using the
same ports and IPs, just in the other direction.  Other than inspecting
the actual data contents of the packets there's no way a firewall can
tell the difference between a reply to your initial request within the
ip_conntrack timeout, and a new request.

  Personally I just block ALL port 137/138/139 stuff OUTGOING as it's
just too much of a risk IMO.  It's so easy to (mis)configure a windows
machine to go broadcasting NETBIOS all over the place.

-Ath
--
- Athanasius = Athanasius(at)miggy.org / http://www.miggy.org/
                  Finger athan(at)fysh.org for PGP key