Re: snmp-basic

--- James Morris <jmorris@intercode.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, eddie shi wrote:
>
> >   Is there something obvious I forgot to do? I am
> > using 2.4.17 kernel with newnat patched. I also
> use
> > iptables to do portfording of snmp port 161 to one
> of
> > my internal box running snmp agent. Here is my
> rule.
> >
> >    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -p udp
> > --dport 161 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.5
> >
> >    Are there any other rules I need to add?
>
> If it was an SNMP trap, yes.  It has to be
> configured separately with
> an SNAT rule (see below).
>
> What addresses are you trying to translate?

My NAT box has two interfaces:

   eth1 (to my ISP): 64.x.y.z
   eth0 (my private net):(192.168.1.0/24)

   I also have a rule performing MASQUERAD in the
FORWARD chain, 192.168.1.0 -> 64.x.y.z perform SNAT.

   My snmp manager is a linux box from another public
IP address.
   I can use snmpwalk from manager :

    snmpwalk -v2c -c public 64.x.y.z ip
   to get all ip MIBS, however, instead of getting
ipAddrEntry with 64.x.y.x, I am still getting
192.168.1.5. The nat_help() in ip_nat_snmp_basic.c did
not get called from nat core at all. My printk()
messages did not show-up on the log/console.

   I should not have to do anything with snmp trap at
this point yet right?

> >    BTW, does anyone know why there is no
> connection
> > tracking module (ie ip_conntrack_snmp_basic.c) for
> > this ?
> >    All other modules (ftp,talk,irc and etc) are
> > working fine in the system.
>
> It doesn't need a special connection tracking
> helper, as it doesn't have
> any specially related connections to manage.

good.
> Below is some old documentation about the
> development/test setup from the
> original package before the code was incorporated
> into the kernel, it may
> be useful in general.

Thanks.

ED