Logging

Hi

I have the following rules to allow traffic on SMTP port.

--------------------
iptables -A INPUT -i $EXTERNAL_IF -p tcp --destination-port 25 -j LOG \
                --log-level 4 --log-prefix "Incoming Mail Traffic "
iptables -A INPUT -i $EXTERNAL_IF -p tcp --destination-port 25 -j ACCEPT
--------------------

The default policy is on the INPUT chain is to drop the packets.  How do I capture
what is being dropped?

My goal is to log the inbound traffic and my syslog has the following
configuration:

--------------------
*.=info;*.=notice;mail.none                     /usr/adm/messages
*.=alert                                        /usr/adm/messages
*.=crit                                         /usr/adm/debug
mail.*                                          /var/log/mail-log
kern.*                                          /var/log/messages
user.*                                          /var/log/messages
syslog.*                                        /var/log/messages
auth.*                                          /var/log/messages
authpriv.*                                      /var/log/messages

Is this configuration sufficient to capture the inbound connections?

--

Subba Rao
subba9@cablespeed.com