getting mad with dynamic routing / fwmark

Hello,

I want to use netfilter's MARKing system to dynamically route packets
on an interface or another based on port numbers.

One of my problem (the main one I think) is that a packet is not
'seen' by the firewall if there is no route to it. tcpdump can see it
but not the firewall. So if I try to MARK the packet in order to route
it based on the mark, it fails because :
no route=no firewall=no marking=no dynamic routing--+

I must be missing something.

BTW, is there a decent tool to monitor what the FW does with a packet,
why it is dropped, how it is marked, etc. without doing everything
with -j LOG ?

Thanks for any help, it's been a week of tests and I'm really getting
mad with nothing working.

--
Jean-Christophe Boggio
cat@thefreecat.org                           -o)