DNS - Firewall - Gateway - and services ...

Hey everyone,

i have a slight problem. there is none yet, i just dont have a solution.

i have a dsl connection with dynamic IP. i run an apache box 24/7 and mail. i have a domain. up to here it has been easy, all from zoneedit. but this does not offer me great security. so i look around and thought i would go with the linux box as a gateway/firewall option. because it seems the most secure, scalable solution. For someone not running services, this is rather simple. but since i will be offering services, it gets a little more complicated.

in a perfect world, i would have one public ip, and a NAT lan ...
all services would be run on nat and access the net from the linux gateway. up to here, its simple, port forwarding.

BUT! i do not want to use port forwarding, one reason of many, i cannot add to many services of the same kind, AND it forces me to deal extensively with zoneedit. (i want total control, it would be PERFECT if zoneedit was out of the story) ...

i also want hostname recognition, every box will have ftp and ssh anyway (plus http or pop3/imap depending) ...

i want to be able to call john smith who works for bell south to talk to him about my credit status or his kids! not just ask the accounting department.

well ...

i have been looking into this for a while, and feel closer to it. I KNOW THERES A WAY! i just dont know it!

i would greatly appreciate comments, suggestions, if you have a solution, it being with iptables only, an dns server, a proxy or all of those ... i dont care, i wanna hear it!

thanks people ...

lawrence